Wednesday, September 3, 2014

RILEY'S REVIEW BITTERSWEET LOVE...BY J.L. BECK

"I want to try...I want to...I don't know if we'll ever be what we used to be, and even though I'm not really okay with that, because every part of me is pulling me to you...I would rather have that than not have any part of you. So what I'm saying is if we can't be us again, then maybe we can be friends." ~ Rex Winchester

The first thing I'm going to tell you about the novella Bittersweet Love by J.L. Beck is to read Bittersweet Revenge before you go any further. A. it's a really good story and B. you need to so you know what exactly is going on in Bittersweet Love.

Next I'm going to tell you...OMG Rex Winchester is complete perfection in the book boyfriend department. He has perfect looks, perfect body and even though it's a little messed up, his love for Jenna Hanes is perfect. There are just not enough amazing things I can say about him because he melted my heart just that much. Even when he wasn't being perfect, he really was.

But, let's get back to the story. Jenna and her very best friend the gorgeous and sassy Mimi Jones have left their pasts behind and are trying to make a fresh start at university in California. That would be awesome if the cause of their troubles (well mostly Jenna's) didn't follow them. Corey Winchester and his cousins Rex and Ryder (yes he has a twin, just as hot, but kind of arrogant) wind up at the same college, living in the same apartment complex as the girls. Back home these boys caused a heap of trouble for Jenna. Made her senior year in high school awful and made Mimi do some pretty hilarious revenge type things.

Mimi is the best friend every girl should have. She's feisty and she's always got Jenna's back. Well except for that one time (but you have to read Bittersweet Revenge to find out about that).

Back to Rex and Jenna. They were an item in high school for a bit. Then there was this whole big blow out that caused Jenna and Rex to break up and certain friendships to be questioned. Did I mention Jenna and Corey were together for a hot minute as well?

Now the girls are just trying to start over in Cali. Except a certain Rex Winchester is trying desperately to win Jenna back and his twin, hot, but full of himself Ryder is definitely sending Jenna some mixed signals. Throw into the mix a weepy Mimi confessing to Jenna she's got some feelings for the evil Corey and you've got a lot going on.

Something I particularly liked about this story. Jenna who was this tormented kind of mousy, doormat, learns to stand up for herself. Even though Mimi would be perfectly happy to do it for her, Jenna learns to stand on her own two feet.

Rex, really wants his girl back and some of the things he said to her, turned my insides to liquid. He loves her, he knows how badly he messed up and he's doing everything he can to win her love. 

I know I've said it already, but Rex is uber swoon worthy. One of those book boyfriends you're thinking about for days after you've finished the book. The story is definitely a good one. There's some angst, there's definitely some humor and there's this love that this boy has for this girl. Does she love him back? Do they get their happily ever after? Duh, I'm not telling. I want you to read it. 

I'm giving Bittersweet Love a four lip smack review. I'll also tell you there's another Bittersweet book on the horizon and I can't wait to read that one!





No comments:

Post a Comment

What We're Reading Now

EXCERPT REVEAL!!! THE ANTI-BOYFRIEND.....BY PENELOPE WARD

Title: The Anti-Boyfriend Author: Penelope Ward Genre: Standalone Contemporary Romance Release Date: August 31, 2020 ...