Sunday, August 31, 2014

RILEY'S REVIEW WILDCARD...BY MISSY JOHNSON

"246. That's the number of women I've shagged in the last twelve months. I'm Ryder Stevens. Don't pretend you don't know me. I'm a god. I'm hot, I'm British and I take what I want. I'm also the number one ranked tennis player in the world. But it's my off court antics that gain the most attention. I cruise through life, running from one scandal to the next. Hell I can't even take a piss without the world knowing about it. Rules? Who gives a shit?Rules are there to be broken and I'm the king of breaking them. But even the king can be bought to his knees. I'm sidelined with an injury that changes everything.  Maybe my life isn't so perfect after all..." ~ Ryder Stevens


So don't be jealous, but I've finished reading Wildcard already. I'll tell you right now, if you haven't preordered, do it!! Ryder Stevens is so worth it. I can't lie at first I thought he was to quote a very brilliant seven year old, a "butthead".

Ryder Stevens has it all and he doesn't care about any of it. Women? If he can't get one, another one will come along. Tennis? Who cares he's the number one player in the world and it's not even a challenge. Money? he's got more of it than he knows what to do with. Honestly, at the beginning of Wildcard, he's just this super selfish man whore who doesn't really care what anyone thinks of him.

Then it happens. Injuring himself in a very compromising position gives Ryder some time to think about the kind of person he is while he's stuck at his parents house healing from a very embarrassing injury (yes you will laugh). 

During this time he has an epiphany of sorts. During a conversation with his sister, he asks her why she gave up tennis. When his sister answers she couldn't understand spending so much time doing something she had no passion for, he begins to think. The more important of Ryder's insights come from one Jake Calera, a seven year old boy from the United States who basically calls him out for being a selfish jackass. He can't seem to get Jake's letter out of his head.

Ryder's goal after reading the letter is to make sure Jake knows he's not such a bad guy. Of course the phone call is intercepted by Jake's mom, the sassy Scarlett Calera. Scarlett is not about to let the slutty tennis pro talk to her son. The back and forth between Ryder and Scarlett is quite amusing. Over weeks they develop an easy friendship. Ryder finds himself looking forward to talking to Scarlett daily. Then he sees her over Skype and bonus...she's stunning.

The two meet in England after Ryder selflessly gets Jake enrolled a medical trial to help with his illness. Now, I was kind of hoping Scarlett would hold out on Ryder and make him sweat when it came to sex. But let's face it, he's Ryder Stevens and he's also shown Scarlett a different side of himself. Of course their sex is hot and that's before they can even properly get down and dirty (damn that injury). As time passes they both find themselves wondering what will happen to them when the trial is over and Scarlett goes home.

For Ryder, Scarlett is the first woman in a very long time he even considers having a relationship with. She's someone he can't get out of his head. Just her smile makes him happy. As luck would have it, Ryder's injury leaves him unable to compete for longer than anticipated. Ryder, takes this opportunity to become a tennis mentor to underprivileged kids and guess where they live?? Yup Chicago. Where one Scarlett and her young son live.

Arriving at her door to surprise her......wait......I can't give you that. I will tell you I absolutely teared up and my heart hurt a little bit in the end of the story. And NO! I don't know if I can wait until September 15 to devour the next part of Ryder's story, but I guess I'll have to.

At first I would have said, Ryder Stevens is absolutely not book boyfriend material. But keep reading, because when you see the real Ryder, oh hell yea he's worth it. Dark hair and eyes, completely fit body from playing tennis and don't let me get started on what a British accent does to me. So yea, I admit, I would probably be a Ryder groupie. Well damn, he's totally hot. You can't blame a girl for wanting him.

I'm giving Wildcard a four lip smack review. Get it. Read it. You'll love it. I definitely need more Ryder in my life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

What We're Reading Now

EXCERPT REVEAL!!! THE ANTI-BOYFRIEND.....BY PENELOPE WARD

Title: The Anti-Boyfriend Author: Penelope Ward Genre: Standalone Contemporary Romance Release Date: August 31, 2020 ...