Sunday, January 25, 2015

EMILY'S REVIEW KYLAND...BY MIA SHERIDAN





I always struggle reviewing books by Mia Sheridan. Not because of the book itself but because I can never really seem to find the words to express how I really feel about her beautiful stories. And here I am struggling again.  Like all of Mia’s books before, Kyland is deeply profound and meaningful.  I don’t know where she finds her golden thread, but Mia somehow uses it to spin a tale nothing short of breathtaking every time!

Kyland Barrett and Tenleigh Falyn come from poverty the likes of which I have never seen or imagined. Yet, as I read about the living conditions, the town, the Appalachian Mountains, and its mountain folk I honestly could picture every bit of it in my head.  That too, being Mia’s gift. Being able to step into a place I have never visited and see it clearly and feel it in my bones.

            The first time I saw Kyland barrett, he was swiping someone’s discarded breakfast off a cafeteria table - Tenleigh

Despite the desperation and devastation these two have experienced, this book to me is about hope, well that and love of course. Being dirt poor, hungry and with no easy way out of Dennville Kentucky, Kyland and Ten are in competition for a way out, a future;  The Tyton Coal Scholarship. Kylad has focused solely on winning this scholarship and getting as far away from Kentucky as he could.  Tenleigh, too has worked tirelessly for the past 4 years to win and find a way to get her mother the help she needs along with a better life for her sister. But only one of them can win it and at what cost to the other?

            “I’m going to leave here Tenleigh. Nothing is going to stop me. Not you, not anything. Not anyone. Do you hear me?” - Kyland

I find myself thinking about the fact that these two are just young kids, yet they are as mature as any adult I know.  Being forced to fend for themselves made them grow up fast.  Instead of worrying about cell phones, dates and social media, they focus on putting food in their bellies and staying warm.  It amazed me through the entire book, how Kyland and Tenleigh found pleasure and joy in life’s most simple basic things like sleigh riding, lavender fields, and books.

            Sometimes my life felt so small. And I had to wonder why those of us who were given small lives, still had to feel pain so big. It hardly seemed fair - Tenleigh

 The sacrifices they are each willing to make for others, including each other, are astounding.  Never being selfish, but always being selfless. Each willing to give up on their own dreams for the sake of helping others.  Falling in love when the outcome was going to be heartbreak, Kyland and Tenleigh were so brave.

            “I realized I would happily suffer for you, because that’s what loving someone is. Willing to do anything for them, willing to make any sacrifice, suffer so they don’t have to. I loved you then, and I still love you now” – Kyland

Kyland is another must read from Mia Sheridan.  It will leave you feeling hopeful, happy and full of faith.  Kyland and Tenleigh were the perfect example of how good in this world does exist.  I can’t imagine what she will come up with next, but I will tell you this much, I’m reading it!!!  Thank you Mia Sheridan! 5 big giant lip smacks for Kyland.








No comments:

Post a Comment

What We're Reading Now

EXCERPT REVEAL!!! THE ANTI-BOYFRIEND.....BY PENELOPE WARD

Title: The Anti-Boyfriend Author: Penelope Ward Genre: Standalone Contemporary Romance Release Date: August 31, 2020 ...