Sunday, May 25, 2014

REVIEW...SECOND CHANCE HERO...BY REBECCA SHERWIN

"She's like a siren, Mum. I thought she'd moved on, I thought we both had. But her being back here...I can't take it." Deacon Reid

I think I will always be a sucker for a love story about second chances. And of course I am always glad to find a new book boyfriend. Deacon Reid isn't my usual type looks wise (except for the whole totally fit body thing he has going on). But Deacon Reid had my heart from almost the beginning of this story. 

In Rebecca Sherwin's Second Chance Hero, Jenna Rivera and Deacon Reid have been friends since they were babies. They have grown up together, lived near each other and even have parents who are best friends. 

One cold Christmas night while they're still in University, Deacon decides to take their friendship to the next level. Jenna and Deacon share a life changing kiss. So you think they'll be golden and where's the second chance going to come in right? Only that's not what happens at all. After this magical kiss, Deacon says something really stupid to Jenna. Any chance they had at being together ended that night.

Fast forward five years and a lot has happened. Life changed drastically for both Jenna and Deacon. Their lives didn't turn out even close to the way they thought they would. After that Christmas night Jenna went back to London to finish at University and Deacon, well Deacon lost his dad and stayed in his town of Folquay to run the business dad left behind.

Our former best friends are reunited on the night of Jenna's birthday. Jenna is back home and her family has invited Deacon's family over for a birthday dinner. Neither Jenna nor Deacon really want to be thrown into this situation together. Jenna because Deacon hurt her so terribly all those years ago and Deacon, well, he knows what an ass he was and has been since Jenna left. Deacon is also hurting since after his dad died, Jenna left and went back to London. She wasn't there to help him with his grief and I'm sure he feels a little resentful. I think that night they both realize they still have feelings for each other. Both too stubborn to give the other a chance.

Ok...That's not really true. I think Deacon is ready to pick up where they left off that Christmas night so long and Jenna isn't having it. The two of them went from best friends to barely knowing each other. There's also a lot of hostility between them at the beginning. It actually hurt me because obviously Deacon still has strong feelings for Jenna.

They're most definitely not the same Uni students as they were when Jenna left. Jenna a dark haired beauty, comes back to Folquay, a blonde bombshell. She also comes back with a boyfriend called Kip (he's just ew). Not that Deacon's been an angel while Jenna's been in London. He finds and beds "trait girls". Girls similar to Jenna who just don't match up so he never has to have a relationship with them.

While visiting, Jenna decides to buy a bake shoppe in town that has closed down. I forgot to mention Jenna is a successful bake shoppe owner with two shoppes already open in London.

When Jenna decides she's staying in town, Deacon decides he's going to show Jenna how much she means to him and make her understand they should be together. It's not an easy task. Jenna has Kip and she's very closed to the idea of any kind of relationship with Deacon. Deacon works hard to prove himself to Jenna. But, every time he takes two steps forward, he gets thrown back like four steps. Then there's a plot twist that about broke my heart.

Through all of this Jenna comes to realize that she does love Deacon and she always has. But, she doesn't fall right into his arms. She fights the feelings she has and keeps remembering how much Deacon hurt her.

Deacon and Jenna do have some series chemistry. You'll find out what I mean. Especially when Deacon's mom catches them in his back yard like two teenagers. I'll also share even though Deacon does some boneheaded things, you'll cheer for him to win back the girl of his dreams. I did. All I wanted was for Jenna to tell Deacon how much she loved him. Hell, I wanted to tell Deacon how much I loved him. I always forget they're not real. Anyway, get it, read it, I know you'll love it!! A four lip smack review for Second Chance Hero by Rebecca Sherwin. OMG I almost forgot...I love the hero meaning in the book. It's really, really sweet.







No comments:

Post a Comment

What We're Reading Now

EXCERPT REVEAL!!! THE ANTI-BOYFRIEND.....BY PENELOPE WARD

Title: The Anti-Boyfriend Author: Penelope Ward Genre: Standalone Contemporary Romance Release Date: August 31, 2020 ...